The Power of Face Serums and 5 Reasons Why You Should Use Them
Many people ask me why they should use face serums. They often think that it is a load of hype and a waste of money. I wish it were true. I wish that we could get everything we needed from our moisturiser but unfortunately it is not the case.
Serums are liquid treatments that are high in concentrated ingredients to treat particular skin problems. These include redness, wrinkles, discoloration, dehydration, sagging skin and blemish skin.
Here are 5 reasons why serums are important:
1. It’s light texture allows for the concentrates and actives to be delivered a lot faster and more effectively to the deeper layers of the skin. Moisturisers only affect the top layer of skin because it has larger molecules. The best time to apply a serum is after a toner and before a moisturiser.
2. You can be selective with which actives to use according to your skin type and needs. Many moisturisers are formulated according to a one recipe fits most but if you are looking to address a particular concern you are best off tailoring your serum according to your needs.
3. Serums are packed full of vitamins, minerals proteins and antioxidants because they don’t contain fillers (ingredients used for viscosity and stability).
4. You can control the concentration levels as it is easy to apply and easy to combine with other ingredients. If you require a little extra you can do so without it suffocating your skin.
5. It lasts longer on the skin as it is sealed and protected by your moisturiser. That way you know your serum is working hard for your during the day and night.
I always recommend plant based ingredients because they have worked effectively for me as they tend to be more suitable for sensitive and fussy skin.
The quality and price varies significantly. You can get anything from $10 – $200 per 30ml. Some ingredients are harder to source (especially plant based ones) but you can often pay more for products that are supported by heavy advertising and top model marketing.
Personally I prefer my contributions to go towards quality natural based products rather than marketing. I love serums because that is what has worked for me.
If you are looking for ways to get more effect and value out of your skin care – don’t be too quick to change your moisturiser – consider what serums you could be using to complement your skin care usage.…